Catch the Taste

Monday, January 18, 2010

Local Heroes: $1.85 Guy

Every town has their own group of eccentric weirdos that everyone in town knows one way or another.
My hometown Guelph, Ontario is no different. We have people that just scream obscenities at others as they get on the bus, kids that hang around the downtown fountain harassing people for spare change and my personal favourite: $1.85 guy.


For those not in the know $1.85 Guy is a character that hangs out mostly around downtown Guelph, between Carden St. and St. George square.

He is usually seen with long hair, a mustache, bucket hat, boxer shorts and a stolen bicycle.
He generally approaches his marks on the stolen bike and proceeds to ask them: "excuse me, can you spare some change? I happen to be short a $1.85?"

A few questions immediately arise from this.

- Why exactly a $1.85? How did he come to this number?
I have a few theories: This was the price of the bus, like ten years ago. He could also be hoping to get two dollars.

- Why does he need $1.85?
Well it isn't for bus fare because he usually has a stolen bike with him. I think this motivational poster of him found on facebook best describes his motives.


So that's his mission objective in brief.

If I could say one thing that's positive about $1.85 guy is that he is very polite about asking for a $1.85.

I was hoping to have an interview with $1.85 guy for this post, but he hasn't been seen around downtown Guelph in awhile.
So that is my goal for this coming year. Interview the man and find out what makes him tick.

His infamy knows no bounds! It seems you can now become a fan of him on Facebook.

If you would like to know more about $1.85 guy, there is an article about him getting arrested a few summers ago and accidentally let out in the Guelph Mercury.

6 comments:

  1. I has a dream and this man touches me, very bad man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's the old white guy that wears the all leather michael jackson thriller get-up. I saw him once, but a character like that must be everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's like the "I need $2 two dollars" guy of KW... Does he want $4? Does he think we're all partially illiterate? Come to think of it, I haven't seen him in a while either... I smell a conspiracy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to go to high school with $1.85 guy(a.k.a. Mik Nagy) back in the day. I'm also the guy who made the motivational poster found on Facebook. He's always been a little out there. Right now I think he's in jail again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually asked him why a 1.85? All he said was it just works out better that way.. Whatever that means lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sheer randomness and strangeness of this. Slightly unsettling but very comical

    ReplyDelete